BBB Warns of Door to Door Tree Service Taking Homeowner’s Money but Failing to do the Work
Joan Coughlin 614-754-4561
August 6, 2012 – Columbus, OH – Residents in Central Ohio have reported to your Better Business Bureau (BBB) that an individual by the name of ‘Tim’ claiming to be the owner of Tree Busters approached residents in Worthington, offering to perform tree removal services after taking the resident’s money, but never completed the work.
BBB files previously indicated this company was out of business. However, it has come to BBB’s attention that as of August 2, 2012, an individual named “Tim” doing business as Tree Busters Tree Service was soliciting business door-to-door in Central Ohio.
A Worthington, Ohio Resident reported; “Tim said they were in the neighborhood giving free estimates and I took him up on his offer. Upon agreeing to remove 3 small trees for $140 the man said he needed to go to his car and get paperwork. I gave him the money and he and his partner promptly left the scene. They have not returned to start or complete the work”.
Beware of a tree service that . . .
1) Has no printed materials, letterhead, bid forms, etc.
2) Is vague about his formal credentials as an arborist.
3) Offers an unusually low price . . . at first.
4) Only accepts cash payments, and/or asks for payment up front.
5) Pressures you for an immediate decision.
6) Offers you a discount to find other customers.\
- Verify with your municipality that businesses are required to be licensed/registered to do work in your area.
- Make sure each tree service you are considering has current liability insurance and workers compensation insurance. All certificates of insurance should be sent from the tree service’s insurance agency directly to you. Otherwise, it could be a fraudulent certificate.
- Require a written contract agreement with anyone you hire. Be sure their name, address, license number, if applicable, and phone number are included in the contract. Read and understand the contract in its entirety and don’t sign a blank contract. A copy of the signed contract is to be given to you at time of signature.
- Once you have picked a tree service you feel comfortable with, never pay for a tree removal or tree trimming project of any kind until you are 100% satisfied with the work. Pay by check or credit card only when the job is complete. Paying by credit card provides some recourse should the job not be completed as stated in the contract.
For more BBB tips and information about hiring a trustworthy company log on to www.quicksearchbbb.org